Have you ever been to a doctor for a medical checkup? ( I like to listen No answer of this question).
Now you are thinking that “What is the article about” question doesn’t matches with the headline. But I would say I have asked right question.
SEMrush Site Audit Tool is used to do a health checkup of websites. This tools tells: that the website is healthy or not.
If there is any problem this tool tell the errors, warning, and give notices. In one word If I would describe SEMrush Site Audit Tool then It tells “How the site is performing?”
Site Audit Settings
Go into your dashboard in SEMrush tool and select Click on Site Audit. Now Fill the Information in Site Audit Settings.
The first step is to add the project. Enter project domain and project name you want to audit.
Domain and limit of Pages
- Crawl Scope- Showing which domain to be crawled
- Limit of Checked Pages- You can limit the no. of checked pages.
- Crawl Source– Select the crawl source. It can be website, sitemaps on-site or you can enter sitemap URL. You can also select the option under Crawl Source to crawl AMP pages first.
- User Agent- Select the agent. It can be SEMrushBot- Desktop, GooglBot- Desktop etc.
- Crawl Delay- You can select any option. If you want a minimum delay in crawling your website then select the first option.
You can also select which URL’s you want to allow and disallow.
Remove URL Parameters
Specify the URL parameters to be removed from URL’s before they are crawled.
How often should you want to audit your website? Weekly, Daily or Once.
After providing every information Click on Start Site Audit.
Site Audit Overview
As, you can see in the image above, the overview of the website shown by the SEMrush Site Audit Tool.
- Total Score- It’s the score of the health of your website.
- Errors- It shows no. of critical errors on the website. It includes errors related to word count, duplicate meta descriptions, loading time, SSL certificate etc.
- Warnings- It includes pages with no meta description, a problem with headings, error code, long URL’s, etc.
These all come under the Issues Section which we will discuss later.
As you can see, 100 pages are crawled by this tool ( as we have selected in Site Audit Settings).
- Healthy- The no. of pages that are totally healthy with no issues.
- Broken- The pages that have no information or show 404 code errors.
- Have issues- The no. of pages that have issues- errors, warnings, and notices.
- Redirects- When you click on a website URL but redirected to another website URL
- Blocked- No. of pages that are blocked by google.
- Crawbility- The Search Engine ability to crawl the content on the page. A high percentage means better crawbility.
- Site Performance- Shows the percentage of how the site is performing.
- HTTP’s- It shows if HTTPs is implemented on your website or not.
- International SEO- Optimizing your website so that search engines can know which countries you want to target and language.
- Internal Linking- It shows the percentage of how better you have interlinked your webpages.
This shows the top issues that need to be fixed at any cost to increase your site performance and make your site healthy.
Issues and How to fix?
It tells how many pages have low word count. Every page should contain at least 300 words to rank on Google.
Pages with low word count generally doesn’t rank on Google. The low word count is really bad for SEO.
So, I suggest you make your post content rich and write at least 1000 words post. Also, optimize your content for right keywords through keyword analytics tool.
Duplicate meta descriptions
It shows how many pages on your website have duplicate meta descriptions.
Analyse the pages, make meta descriptions unique for every page.
No meta descriptions
It shows the no. of pages with no meta descriptions. Meta descriptions is a important factor to rank high in search engine page results.
It shows how many pages take long loading time. You know decrease in 1s loading time improve your google ranking.
Find your site speed from Google Page Insights. As, mobile users are increasing day by day so make your site mobile-friendly.
Analyse the pages that take long loading time and fix it-
- Use cache plugin.
- Notice, the image sizes on the page . It should be not more than 100 Kb.
- Don’t use too many images and videos.
- Keep your website’s HTML code clean.
Sitemap.xml files can really improve ranking. These files ensures that the site be crawled properly and be done quickly.
Add Yoast SEO plugin in WordPress. Keep the XML Sitemaps option On from the settings.You can also copy sitemap.xml files of posts, pages and tags and paste these files in Google Search Console.
These are digital certificates that encrypt and authenticate your website. After installing SSL certification connection becomes from Http-Https ( safe connection).
Pages with HTTP rank lower than HTTPs ( secure connection). So, install a valid SSL certificate in the cPanel of your hosting provider.
Duplicate title tags
Duplicate title tags makes it difficult for search engine to crawl and decide which post to rank above the other.
So, make sure all your title tags are unique. Make SEO-friendly title tags.
No Title Tags
Search Engine prefer ranking pages that have relevant title tags. Without a title tag it is difficult to rank. Title tags appear in search results.
So, make sure that all your pages have title tags relevant to your keyword and intriguing.
More than one Title Tag
Having more than one title tag makes it difficult for the search engine to know what the content is about and make it difficult to rank.
So, have only one one relevant and influencing title tag per post.
Long and short title tags
Too long and short title tags are not good for your site. It increases the chances of not appearing in the top SERPs.
So, make sure that your title tag should be between 30-65 characters.
Too long URL’s are not good for SEO. URL’s that have more than 120 characters negatively affect your chances of ranking.
How to fix-
- URL character limit should not be more than 120.
- URL should only contain numbers, letters, and dashes. Avoid symbols and underscores in the slug.
- Use relevant keywording in your URL to rank higher on-page results.
- Don’t overcomplicate your URL.
4XX status code
When any visitor visits a webpage and the page shows 404 error code. These type of error codes create negative experience for user and impact your SEO and rankings.
- If content still exists fix the broken URL. ( Install Broken Link Checker plugin).
- If content doesn’t exist then redirect it to the 301 code error.
- Update the permissions for 403 forbidden error.
- Make sure URL is correct for 400 bad request error.
- If you want to keep the content accessible only through passwords then adjust robots.txt file.
- Your page is requiring login and password for 401 unauthorized error.
Some other tips
- Don’t design using Flash.
- Add H1 tag into your post.
- Add a doctype for all your pages.
- Review all your temporary redirects ( 302, 305 and 307). Change them to a 301 permanent redirect.
- Confirm that all pages are being indexed and crawled.
- Schema Markup– It is the language of the search engine or you can say code you put on your website to provide clear information to search engines.
- Crawl Depth- As you know sites contain multiple pages which in turn contain subpages. It is the extent a search engine indexes pages within a website. Use Internal Linking in your post to increase crawl depth.
- HTTP status code- Pages with error status code.
- Canonicalization- Use the canonical tag to prevent problems of duplicate content appearing on multiple URLs. Pick the best URL from different choices.
- Know your site statistics through the SEMrush Site Audit Tool For FREE.
- See- Ultimate SEO Guide
Check your health weekly with the help of SEMrush Site Audit tool. Notice all the errors, warnings and notices. Fix the issues if any.
- Write article that has at least 1000 word count.
- Write unique meta descriptions.
- Decrease the loading time. Install the cache plugin.
- Have a title tag of length between 30-65 characters.
- Use relevant keywords in your title and URL’s. ( length minimum of 120 characters).
- Install SSL certificate.
- Fix error codes. 404 error code impacts rankings.
- Keep XML Sitemaps ON.
- Increase crawl depth, schema markup, and use canonical tags.
Get Access to The Ultimate SEMrush Site Audit Tool FREE.
I don’t know you have used this tool or not but I recommend you to not waste your valuable on any other tool because this tool is value for money.
How you like this SEMrush Site Audit tool complete ultimate guide. Comment.