Blogging is Dead in 2020. Really?
Want to know ‘How to start a blog from scratch in 2020? I appreciate your decision. Because, I love Action takers.
I have also taken my life’s best decision to start a blog a year before.
When you enter in this Blogging World there is so much to learn. And, you all know “Learning is the biggest earning” ( if you take Action).
If you are tired of your job or searching for ‘how to make money online’ then blogging is a great way to start (make money on autopilot).
So, for that you should know ‘How to start a blog‘. This is the first and easiest step towards your blogging career.
Why you should read this article? If you are looking for-
- What is the best platform to start blogging?
- How to start a blog and make money? (No quick rich scheme)
- What is the best topic to start a blog?
- How much does it cost to start a blog?
- Do I need any technical skills?…… the list is endless.
So, not wasting up your precious time,
Choose a Niche for your Blog
This is the part where many newbies stuck.
Just ask these questions before picking a niche-
- Can I write quality content regularly on this niche?
- Is there enough room in this niche to grow?
- Are people interested to talk about the topic? Can I build a community?
- What is my purpose? Guys, Promise me that while selecting a niche your first purpose
should be to provide value (the second purpose can be money).
- How I will make my niche unique? What is uniqueness in my niche?
Note: Build your blog to solve the pain problems of the people. Your niche should be around a problem (back , neck pain etc.) not around a product. Choose a niche in which you have experience or want to learn about.
Here’s a special gift for you- If you want to see ‘How to pick a profitable niche’ then Get my Live Niche Research Ultimate Guide E-book for FREE with a 100+ blog niche list (Bonus).
Ultimate Niche Guide
Find your niche and start your profitable business now.
Choose a Ultimate Domain Name for your Blog
Don’t overthink while choosing a domain name.
How to choose a Domain Name-
- Short- Keep your domain name short. Short domain names are easy to remember and pronounce.
- Numbers– Don’t use numbers. Avoid using numbers in your domain name as much as you can.
- Keyword- Google doesn’t consider keyword in your domain name as a ranking factor ( but it will always be a plus point). For e.g. if your niche is around blogging and you choose a domain name ‘startablog.com’ then it’s not that your website will rank on top related to that keyword. But, the keyword in your domain name gives the audience a signal about your blog.
- TLD extension- Prefer .com domains because it’s for globally. If not then you can choose .net and .org also.
- Expired Domains- It will be great if buy an expired domain. You are getting some site authority without any work.
Let’s find a domain name-
Let’s find a domain name around a niche ‘blogging’.
Just go to LeanDomainSearch website ( Domain Name Generator) and type the keyword- ‘blogging’. See the results that appear and pick a domain name that is short and look brandable.
What is view of ‘Flashblogging.com’. Tell me in the Comments.
My domain name finding journey
First of all, I see that many bloggers are promoting Semrush affiliate program. So, I decided to include a Keyword of Semrush and buy ‘rushblogs.com’.
Then I came to know that Google is not considering keyword in the domain a ranking factor. Also, only writing about SEMrush won’t help me to grow and rank.
My domain name was small but not understandable (can’t be easily remembered). So, I just randomly search domain name and found hackblogging.com ( randomly putting words in front and back of the keyword ‘blogging’),
You can also find domain names by finding synonyms of a word and attach with your keyword.
In short: Buy a domain name that is short, brandable and gives idea of your business (E.g. windowcleaner.com)
Congrats, for choosing your ultimate domain name.
Choose a Ultimate Hosting for Your Blog
Every newbie has this question in his mind- “Which is the best and cheapest hosting?”.
Firslty, Let’s see ‘What is Web hosting’
In short: Web hosting is the process of renting or buying space to house a website on the World Wide Web.
There are tons of hosting providers out there, But What is the best WordPress Hosting for you? Any guess.
I personally recommend two hosting providers. Siteground and Greengeeks.
Why cheapest hosting is not good for you?
- Low Site Speed
- Less Uptime
- Not Good Support…..list is endless.
When I started blogging I also made a mistake by buying a cheap hosting to save money. ( I just wasted my time).
I made a great decision by investing some money in Siteground hosting. But, When I buy Siteground Hosting the price of plans was-
But after 30 Days the price increases and became this-
I was happy because I already bought Siteground for 1 year at low price but at one side I was also sad because I was recommending this hosting to everyone.
But Still, This is the best hosting for beginners.
Then, I started researching ” What are the best alternatives of Siteground Hosting out there”. After researching for many days I found that the best alternative is Greengeeks Hosting. See, the Proof (Strong Competition)
It’s clearly seeing that Greengeeks is the winner of this Poll result.
Follow these steps to purchase hosting and to setup your blog.
1.Click on this special link to start your first blog
See, which plan best suits you. If you want to host multiple sites then Pro version is great for you otherwise lite is good. ( I have bought pro version).
2. Choose a domain name
If you have already bought a domain name then just fill the block under the “Use a Domain You Already Own”, if not then create a new domain name.
Greengeeks offers you free domain name registration for 1 year. After that Click on the Next button
3. Sign Up
Fill your Account information. (It’s simple).
Select the right package for you. Triennially means 3-year plan. If you want to buy this hosting for 1 year then select annually.
Now, fill your credit card information. If you don’t have credit card then make a account on paypal. ( Note: your card should have permission to do international payment).
There is a option ‘Chat with us’ on the header. Click on that and ask for paypal link.
Do the payment and you are done.
Setup your WordPress Blog
Many newbies have a question in their brain- “Which is the best platform to start a blog in 2020”.
I personally recommend you to choose WordPress platform. Why?
- Awesome plugins and themes
- User-friendly (easy to use).
- Freedom to make your blog as you can.
It’s an easy system if you want a website up and ready within minutes.
Step 1: Login in your Greengeeks hosting account, you will see a option called cpanel.
From cpanel, scroll Softaculous Apps Installer and click on WordPress.
Step 2: After clicking on WordPress, you will see a option ‘Install Now’. Just click on that ( wordpress new version will be there, for older version you have to do that manually).
- Software setup- Choose your domain name. If you have only one domain then it will appear automatically. Choose which “HTTP:” version you want to use ( choose “https:” if have a free SSL certificate).
- Admin Information- Input the username and password (never choose username “admin” ). Choose an admin e-mail address.
- Fill basic information about your website.
- Click on the Install button.
After completing installation. Click the link to visit the login screen.
The link will redirect to WordPress dashboard, Fill your login details and click on the Login Button.
Boom, Setup is done. Now it’s time to choose a awesome theme.
Choose a Rocking theme
If you are thinking that installing free themes will help you to scale in blogging, then you are thinking wrong.
Why installing a free theme is not a good option?
- Limited features
- No Support.
- Not being updated regularly.
- Poorly coded ( fear of getting site hacked).
Benefits of choosing a premium theme-
- Compatible across different browsers.
- Responsive Design ( This is the most important factor.Google loves mobile-responsiveness).
- Always Up-to-date.
- Amazing Support
There are many themes out there, ‘Which is the best premium WordPress theme’?
My second best investment after hosting was investing in Most popular WordPress theme- “Divi”. Why I choose it after researching for many days?
- Great support ( get the answer to any query within a minute).
- Many features in low price- Divi theme + Divi Page builder + Monarch ( social share plugin) + Bloom ( E-mail capturing).
- Lightweight and easy-to-use.
Click on the above button a page will appear that look like this-
Click on Try IT for Free Button. A another page will appear where you can take a tour of how it will look and try building for free.
Now, there is a option “Get Divi Today” (up extreme right). After trying click on that, choose a plan which suits you and signup.
The best alternative of Elegant themes (Divi) is Thrive Themes.
After picking up a theme it’s time to install it.
Go to Appearance. Click on themes and Then Click on ‘Add New’
After that Click on Upload theme and upload the .zip file you downloaded after buying a premium theme.
Note: Don’t try to get everything for Free. Invest some money and get high returns.
Important Plugins For WordPress
Here is the list of some important plugins that I personally use-
Rank Math SEO– This is one of my favorite SEO plugins. Firstly, I use Yoast SEO but when I see that rank math provides more features fro Free, then I switch to it. SEO is very important to rank and drive traffic.
Resmush.it- For loading site faster, it’s important that your images are not large in size. This plugins help you to optimize your images effectively.
Antispam Bee– This plugin will help to block spam comments.
Updraft Plus– It simplifies backup and restoration. This plugin backup your website daily (backup of site is necessary).
Bloom- The Ultimate E-mail optin and lead generation plugin for WordPress.
Sucuri Security- This plugin keeps your website secure. Security is the no.1 priority. (what if someone tries to hack your website).
Nitropack- It’s a free plugin to boost up your website. If your site doesn’t load faster than the user frustates and bounce back. This plugin will help to optimize your website and make it load faster.
How to install a plugin?
- Go into plugins section in the WordPress dashboard.
- Click on Add New button.
- Search plugins or if you have .zip file then Click on Upload plugin.
- Click on Install Now and then Click on “Activate”. (so simple, right).
Write your first ultimate blog post and Publish It.
- Click on Post in WordPress dashboard.
- Now, Click on Add New.
- Boom, Start writing.
- Do Keyword and competitive research (Understand your audience). (Long-tail keywords works great ).See- Keyword Analytics with SEMrush.
- Write a catchy title. Include Power words ( Ultimate, How-to, hack, amazing, etc).
- Write facts, quote, add humor use power words, and question in Introduction.
- Write high-quality in-depth content( at least 1500 words). Provide value and include images, infographics, videos, etc.
- End your short- conclusion with a call-to-action ( question etc.).
- Bonus- Do the basic On-Page SEO ( See- How to write SEO friendly article).
Note: Never use copyright images (don’t copy/paste images directly from Google). Make your own images with the help of free tool Canva or use Free images.
- Before Publishing read the complete article yourself. Check if there are any grammar or spelling mistakes ( Use Grammarly ).
- Then, Click on the Publish Button.
- After that index your URL in Google Search Console.
- Now, give your blog post social signals ( Publish on Facebook, Instagram, youtube, quora, twitter, Pinterest and many other platforms).
Bonus– Connect your website with Google Analytics. Click on Start Measuring > Select Web > Provide basic website information > Copy tracking code> Go to Theme editor in WordPress> Header.php file> Paste code under <head> tag.
Smart ways to make money from blogs
Note: Making quick money is dangerous
But, Here I will not tell any quck-rich schemes.
Ads- Google Adsense is just a motivation. Join premium ads network (ad thrive, info links, etc.)When massive traffic starts coming. Write a sponsored post ( if you have time) and conduct giveaways.
Affiliate marketing- You can a large amount through affiliate marketing. Many bloggers main income source is affiliate marketing. Join affiliates, search and promote products, track sales, and earn a commission.
I made my first dollar through Affiliate marketing. It’s so powerful.
Products- Sell e-books, online courses, softwares, professional services and physical products( go a level up). Build trust with your audience. E-mail marketing is a great way to build trust.
Conferences- Don’t miss conferences and interviews. Meet with people and grow your network.
Scaling and optimizing– Build testimonials, promote and work on Google SEO.
See- Detailed ultimate guide on “How to make money from Blogs”.
FAQs related to “How to start a blog from scratch”
I request you to invest some money. Going for more cheap things = cheap quality.
See, you have two options. Start for Free and invest more time or Invest some money and save some time. Time is money.
It costs you hardly $50 a year to start. This money is what you invest in Greengeeks hosting to start.
You need just a domain name and hosting to start a blog.
yes, See there is no right time to start. It all depends on your learning and implementation.
If you know the right strategies then blogging is a money-making machine for you.
This question was the same 5 years ago. Take Action today.
Start small, set goals, and scale-up. Learn and grow daily.
- To make a change in people's lives (inspire your audience).
- Learn new skills.
- Meet with new people.
- Generate income.
- Be your own boss.
If still you want to start a blog without investing and experience blogging for 1-2 months then you can start on the Blogger platform.
See, detailed guide- How to start and make money on BlogSpot.
If you want to gain some experience in blogging then there many free blog platforms out there. You can start on blogger, Wix, medium, wordpress.com.
But you want to make money blogging then it's recommended to invest some money.
- Prefer Long-tail keywords. Do some competitive research.
- Create valuable and depth content.
- Do basic On-Page SEO
- Give some social signals. ( Post on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, videos on Youtube and on other social media platforms).
- Answer some questions on Quora and place your link in the answers of your blog post.
- Build some quality backlinks.
- Update your content regularly.
Consistency. Yes, you have to be consistent for 3-6 months to see the results.
Many bloggers complain that "I am leaving blogging because I didn't get results."
Patience is required in blogging. It's not a quick-rich scheme.
In whatever field you step in- "Be consistent".
See, there are three trending topics-
These are broad markets. Select a particular topic from these markets i.e. niche and start your blog.
Read my ultimate Niche E-book to explore more.
When I started blogging I made many mistakes and it's the story of every blogger. But I want you to not make that mistake.
Share this infographic–
Use below code to embed this inforgraphic
<p><strong>Please include attribution to https://www.hackblogging.com with this graphic.</strong><br /><br /><a href='https://www.hackblogging.com/how-to-start-a-blog-from-scratch/'><img src='https://www.hackblogging.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/How-to-start-a-blog.jpg' alt='How to start a blog' 540px border='0' /></a></p>
Congratulations for starting your successful blog in 2020.
Now, it’s starting not the end. You have to learn many things. If you have stepped into this blogging world then explore it to the fullest.
Learning is the biggest earning but if you implement it. Take Action today. Because, I love action takers.
Share this post with your friends. Help them to build a successful blogging empire.
My purpose is to provide value to people and help them in their blogging journey. So, if you are with me then share this post.
Every single share count for us! I appreciate your effort.